Late summer is here with its bounty of tomatoes! Tomatoes are not the only things in season, however. Grapes are heavy on the vine and turning from the hard little green balls they have been to beautiful purple and red berries. That is if they are red grapes, of course. Green grapes are just getting bigger and squishier. The wonderfully sweet and licorice-y fennel is also coming into season, and stone fruit is plentiful!
- Fennel – thinly sliced on a mandolin
- Tomatoes – diced
- Red Plum – diced
- Savory – I have winter savory in my garden, summer savory is good too
- Chives – onion or garlic chives will work
- Spearmint – a few leaves will lend a pleasant brightness
- Mayonnaise – just a spoonful
- Red Wine Vinegar – just a splash
- Salt & Pepper – of course
This fresh, slightly fruity, slightly savory salad could be used to top some chopped lettuce or served by itself.
- Sun-dried Tomato and Basil Wrap
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Grape Jam – homemade from my own grapevines
- Tomato Fennel Salad – from above
- Chicken Sausage – your favorite brand cooked your favorite way
Even with the chicken sausages I used having apple in them, these wraps were not overly fruity. Juicy and refreshing – perfect for a late summer noon picnic.